Gambling and sports betting: how are they different?

Both gambling and sports betting are two forms of entertainment involving the use of real money. One of the parties loses a preset amount and the other gains it, when a specific event occurs.

For uninformed people, both activities are the same. But for those who have experience in the sector they are very different. The best way to get to know the world of sports betting in depth is by consulting a guide like the one at In it you will find information about the best bookmakers and tips for upcoming competitions.

Randomness vs. Probable Outcomes

In a game of chance, the results are determined solely and exclusively by luck. In a European roulette spin there is a 1 in 37 chance of hitting a bet on a specific number. And, in the long run, each of those numbers has a 2.7% chance of being the winner. But what determines which one will come out in the next roll is luck. There is no other variable that influences.

In sports betting, the results are affected by an infinite number of variables. Hobbyists look at all possible aspects of the parties involved to determine what the chances are of an event occurring. For example, a soccer fan may be very clear about who has the upper hand in a match between Real Madrid and Getafe.

While in games of chance you bet on something completely random, in sports betting you choose an outcome that is more likely to happen than another.

Real chances of winning in the long term

The games of chance offered by casinos are designed in such a way that the house always has an advantage over the player. Although this may have a stroke of luck (remember that the results depend on chance), in the long term it will be the establishment that makes money.

Placing an odd/even bet in roulette gives a prize equal to the amount wagered. So, 48.64% of the time, it will come up even and the player will win. Another 48.64% of the time, it will be odd and the player loses. The remaining 2.7% will be 0 and the player will also lose. This small mismatch between the odds of winning and the size of the prizes means that the house always has an advantage.

In betting, the odds of an event occurring depend on many factors. Let’s go back to the example of Real Madrid against Getafe: who is playing at home? Are there key players who are injured or suspended? what will the weather forecast be? All these details can tip the balance in favor of one or the other.

If the bookmaker gives a 1.9 odds in favor of Madrid, this means that according to their predictions this team has a 52.6% probability of winning. If, after doing your analysis, you are sure that Real Madrid has a higher probability of victory, for example 60%, you can make a long-term winning bet. (60% of the time you would win 1.9, while the remaining 40% you would lose 1).

Leave a Comment